We encourage parents to have intentional conversations with their children about what they encounter online. These discussions could include:
• Encouraging children to share any worries or concerns with you;
• Ensuring children understand the importance of not giving personal information to anyone they do not know;
• Telling children no-one has the right to make them do anything they do not want to do;
• Setting privacy systems on devices with your child as a way to have the conversation about safety.
• Setting privacy settings for all social media and gaming applications;
• Keeping video games and YouTube watching in shared family spaces;
• Setting up video game restrictions to friends only;
• Setting up “restricted” mode on YouTube for your child’s account so inappropriate content is not available to them.
Here are additional resources for you to help you have intentional conversations with your children about internet and social media safety.