A motion to mandate masks was passed by the Harrisburg school board on Monday, November 16th.
The primary goals of mandating masks are to:
- Reduce the risks to our staff and students’ health and safety.
- Keep staff and students in school.
- Keep the school, activities, and sports open and available.
- Allow our parents and guardians to keep working.
To help we are asking that:
- Students bring masks to school.
- Students wear their mask continually throughout the day.
- Students ask their teachers in the event they need a break.
- Students talk with administration if they have questions or concerns about this requirement.
Masks will be worn by all individuals (students, staff, and guests) in the buildings with the following exceptions:
- Medical Exemptions
- Outdoor Recess
- Physical Education Classes
- Special Needs (Determined through the IEP process)
- Teacher-Directed Mask Breaks
- Teachers who are teaching in front of the classroom and are a minimum of 6 feet from the nearest individual and either wear a shield or have a barrier (i.e., desk shield) between them and the closest students.
- Staff Alone in a Room
The masking requirement will go into effect Wednesday, November 18th, and will run through January 11th, at which time the board will reevaluate the mask requirement.